Friday, January 19, 2007

Finland



I have been on business trips to Finland a few times. When I travel on business, the opportunities for sight seeing are limited. So, there will not be many posts on this country.

During my trips, I have visited three cities: Helsinki (the capital), Tampere, and Lahti. The picture is of ski jumps in Lahti. Ski jumping is a popular sport in Finland.

The population of Finland is just over 5 million. Two-thirds live in urban areas. Because they are far north, they have long days in the summer and short days in the winter. They were ruled by Sweden for 700 years, then by Russia for 100 years. They became independent in 1917, and are now a member of the EU.

The land has a rugged beauty, much like northern Ontario. The people are friendly. Many speak some English, but few are fluent in English. Sadly, according to one article I read, two-thirds of Finns view life as gloomy and devoid of hope. I have seen evidence of this in the abuse of alcohol which seems common.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home